2015 Maryland Code
Subtitle 1 - IN GENERAL
§ 9-103 - Petition by child to change custody

MD Fam L Code § 9-103 (2015) What's This?

(a) Petition by child. -- A child who is 16 years old or older and who is subject to a custody order or decree may file a petition to change custody.

(b) Guardian or next friend not required. -- A petitioner under this section may file the proceeding in the petitioner's own name and need not proceed by guardian or next friend.

(c) Hearing required; amendment of custody order or decree. -- Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, if a petitioner under this section petitions a court to amend a custody order or decree, the court:

(1) shall hold a hearing; and

(2) may amend the order or decree and place the child in the custody of the parent designated by the child.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.