2015 Maryland Code
Title 14 - MISCELLANEOUS CONSUMER PROTECTION PROVISIONS
Subtitle 33 - MARYLAND IMMIGRATION CONSULTANT ACT
§ 14-3301 - Definitions
(a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Client. -- "Client" means a noncitizen or any person seeking to sponsor a noncitizen for whom an immigration consultant performs or offers to perform a service relating to the noncitizen's immigration status.
(c) Immigration consultant. -- "Immigration consultant" means a person that provides nonlegal advice, guidance, information, or services to a client on an immigration matter for a fee.
(d) Immigration matter. -- "Immigration matter" means any legal proceeding, filing, or action that:
(1) Affects the immigration status of a noncitizen; and
(2) Arises under:
(i) Any immigration and naturalization law, executive order, or presidential proclamation of the United States or any foreign country; or
(ii) An action of the United States Department of Homeland Security, the United States Department of Labor, the United States Department of State, the United States Department of Justice, or the United States Department of Commerce.
(e) Legal services. --
(1) "Legal services" means the legal representation of an individual.
(2) "Legal services" includes providing forms to an individual, completing forms on behalf of an individual, filing forms on behalf of an individual, advising an individual to file forms, or applying for a benefit on behalf of an individual.
(f) Secretarial services. -- "Secretarial services" means:
(1) Writing, typing, or copying information as provided by an individual; or
(2) Translating documents into English for an individual.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.