2015 Maryland Code
Title 9 - REGULATION AND SUPERVISION OF SEEDS, TURF GRASS, SOD, POTATOES, GINSENG AND NOXIOUS WEEDS
Subtitle 2 - REGULATION OF SALE AND TRANSPORTATION OF SEED
§ 9-207 - Labeling requirements -- Agricultural seeds
(a) Label or tag required; contents. -- Each container of agricultural seeds which is sold, offered or exposed for sale, or transported in the State for planting purposes shall bear or have attached in a conspicuous place a plainly written or printed label or tag in the English language, except when the scientific name is the commonly accepted name, giving the following information:
(1) The name and address of the person who labeled the seed or who sells, offers, or exposes the seed for sale within the State;
(2) Commonly accepted name of (i) kind, or (ii) kind and variety, of each agricultural seed component in excess of 5 percent of the whole, and the percentage by weight of each in the order of its predominance;
(3) Where more than one component is required to be named, the word "mixture" or the word "mixed" shall be shown conspicuously on the label;
(4) Origin of alfalfa, red clover, orchard grass, white clover, and field corn (except hybrid corn), but if the origin is unknown, that fact shall be stated;
(5) Lot number or other identification;
(6) Percentage by weight of seeds other than that required to be named on the label;
(7) Percentage by weight of inert matter;
(8) Percentage by weight of every weed seed;
(9) The name and number of each kind of restricted noxious weed seed: per ounce in Group 1 and per pound in Group 2 when present singly or collectively in any amount but the amount may not exceed 16 per ounce in Group 1 and 16 per pound in Group 2.
Group 1: Agropyron spp., agrostis spp., alfalfa, bermuda grass, brassica spp., orchard grass, alsike and white clover, crimson clover, dallis grass, fescues, flax, foxtail millet, lespedezas, poa spp., red clover, reed canary grass, rhodes grass, ryegrass, sweet clover, smooth brome, timothy, and any other agricultural seed of similar size and weight, or mixtures within this group;
Group 2: Barley, buckwheat, oats, proso, rye, sorghums, sudan grass vetches, wheat, and any other agricultural seed of a size and weight similar to or greater than those within this group, or any mixture within this group; and
(10) For each named agricultural seed (i) percentage of germination, exclusive of hard seed, (ii) percentage of hard seed, if present, and (iii) the calendar month and year the test was completed to determine such percentages. Following (i) and (ii) the additional statement: "total germination and hard seed" may be stated, if desired. However, if the total of (i) and (ii) is stated, the total shall be subject to the tolerance that applies to a percentage of germination of like magnitude.
(b) Determinations for purity, germination, and noxious weed seed subject to rules and regulations. -- Every determination for purity, germination, and noxious weed seed is subject to the tolerance and method of determination prescribed in the rules and regulations adopted under this subtitle.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.