2013 Maryland Code
§ 7-505 - Charges for railroad or transit facilities
(a) As to all or any part of any railroad facility or transit facility, the Administration may:
(1) Fix, revise, charge, and collect rentals, rates, fees, fares, and other charges for its use or for its services; and
(2) Contract with any person who desires its use for any purpose and fix the terms, conditions, rentals, rates, fees, fares, and other charges for this use.
(b) To the extent practicable and consistent with providing adequate service at reasonable fares, the rentals, rates, fees, fares, and other charges imposed for and the services provided by the transit facilities and railroad facilities owned or controlled by the Administration shall be fixed and adjusted in respect of the aggregate of the charges so as to provide funds that, together with any other revenues, are sufficient to:
(1) Maintain, repair, and operate the transit facilities and railroad facilities;
(2) Provide for depreciation of the transit facilities and railroad facilities;
(3) Replace, enlarge, extend, reconstruct, renew, and improve the transit facilities and railroad facilities;
(4) Pay the costs of purchasing, leasing, or otherwise acquiring and installing rolling stock and other equipment;
(5) Pay the principal of and interest on any outstanding obligations of the Administration, including obligations incurred for the acquisition of rolling stock;
(6) Pay the current expenses of the Administration; and
(7) Provide for any purpose that the Administration considers necessary and desirable to carry out the provisions of this title.
(c) Except for the authority of the Secretary and, where applicable, the Maryland Transportation Authority, the rentals, rates, fares, fees, and other charges imposed by the Administration are not subject to supervision or regulation by any instrumentality, agency, or unit of this State or any of its political subdivisions.
(d) (1) The Administration may contract with the federal government, this State, or any of their agencies or political subdivisions for payments to the Administration for free or reduced fare transportation of employees or other persons.
(2) With respect to the operation of transit service, the Administration shall allow individuals with disabilities who are employed by sheltered workshops and who earn less than the current minimum wage, as determined by the Federal Wage and Hours Board, to travel free to and from those workshops.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.