2013 Maryland Code
§ 5-415 - Ambulance transport fees.

MD Transp Code § 5-415 (2013) What's This?


(a) In this section, “Fire Rescue Service” means the Maryland Aviation Administration Fire Rescue Service.

(b) Subject to subsection (c) of this section, the Fire Rescue Service shall charge an ambulance transport fee set in regulations adopted under subsection (d) of this section to an individual if the Fire Rescue Service transports the individual to a hospital from property owned by the Administration or property subject to a mutual aid agreement to which the Administration is a party.

(c) (1) The Fire Rescue Service may not:

(i) Question an individual about ability to pay the ambulance transport fee at the time that ambulance transportation is requested or provided; or

(ii) Fail to provide ambulance transportation and emergency medical services because of an individual’s actual or perceived inability to pay the ambulance transport fee.

(2) The Administration may procure the services of a third party billing company to administer its ambulance transport fee program.

(d) The Administration shall adopt regulations to:

(1) Set the ambulance transport fee; and

(2) Administer the collection of the ambulance transport fee, including regulations governing:

(i) A waiver of the ambulance transport fee in the event of financial hardship;

(ii) The acceptance of reduced payments by commercial insurers and other third-party payors, including Medicare and Medicaid; and

(iii) A requirement that each individual receiving an ambulance transport provide financial information, including the individual’s insurance coverage, and assign insurance benefits to the Administration.

(e) The Administration shall deposit the fees collected under this section in the Transportation Trust Fund.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.