2013 Maryland Code
§ 25-209 - Disposition of vehicles to dismantler and recycler or scrap processor -- In general
(a) A person who owns a vehicle, on whose property is found an abandoned vehicle, or who has lawful, documented possession of a vehicle for which the certificate of title is defective, lost, or destroyed, may apply to a law enforcement agency for the jurisdiction in which the vehicle is located for authority to transfer the vehicle to an automotive dismantler and recycler or scrap processor.
(b) The application shall be made under penalty of perjury and shall include:
(1) The name and address of the applicant;
(2) The year, make, model, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle, if ascertainable, and any other identifying features of the vehicle;
(3) A concise statement of the facts about the abandonment of the vehicle or the loss, destruction, or defect of the certificate of title of the vehicle; and
(4) An affidavit stating that the facts alleged in the application are true and that no material fact has been withheld.
(c) If a law enforcement agency finds that the application is executed in proper form and shows either that the vehicle has been abandoned on the property of the applicant or, if the vehicle is not abandoned, that the applicant appears to be the rightful owner, the law enforcement agency may:
(i) If the applicant appears to be the rightful owner, approve the request on verification of the information in the application; or
(ii) If the application is made by a person other than the rightful owner, follow the notification procedures of §§ 25-204 and 25-205 of this subtitle.
(c-1) If the applicant submits with the application documentary proof that the notification procedures of §§ 25-204 and 25-205 of this subtitle already have been complied with, the law enforcement agency shall accept the document as proof of compliance and the agency is not required to provide this notification.
(d) (1) If an abandoned vehicle is not reclaimed in the time required by this subtitle or notice has already been provided to the owner and any secured party, the law enforcement agency shall give the applicant a certificate of authority to transfer the vehicle to:
(i) Any automotive dismantler and recycler for:
1. Dismantling, destroying, or scrapping; or
2. Salvaging as authorized under § 13-506 of this article; or
(ii) Any scrap processor for dismantling, destroying, or scrapping.
(2) The automotive dismantler and recycler or scrap processor shall accept the certificate of authority instead of the certificate of title of the vehicle.
(3) The automotive dismantler and recycler may apply for a salvage certificate as provided in § 13-506 of this article.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.