2013 Maryland Code
§ 25-201 - Definitions
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Abandoned vehicle” means any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer:
(1) That is inoperable and left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;
(2) That has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;
(3) That has remained on private property for more than 48 hours without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property;
(4) That has remained in a garage for more than 10 days after the garage keeper has given the owner of the vehicle notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, bearing a postmark from the United States Postal Service, to remove the vehicle;
(5) That has remained in a garage for more than 10 days after the period when, by contract, the vehicle was to remain in the garage;
(6) That was left for more than 10 days in a garage by:
(i) Someone other than its registered owner; or
(ii) A person authorized to have possession of the vehicle under a contract of use, service, storage, or repair;
(7) That has remained on public property for more than 48 hours and:
(i) Is not displaying currently valid registration plates; or
(ii) Is displaying registration plates of another vehicle;
(8) That has been left unattended on any portion of a “controlled access highway” as defined in § 8-101(f) of this article for more than 24 hours;
(9) That has been left unattended on any portion of a primary or secondary highway or controlled access highway, as defined in § 8-101 of this article, and is in violation of any of the provisions of § 22-408 of this article; or
(10) That is not reclaimed as provided under § 27-111 of this article.
(c) “Garage” means any of the following, if operated for commercial purposes:
(1) A parking place or establishment;
(2) A vehicle storage facility; or
(3) An establishment for the servicing, repair, or maintenance of vehicles.
(d) (1) “Lessor” means a person who regularly leases or offers to lease motor vehicles.
(2) “Lessor” includes:
(i) An assignee of leases; and
(ii) A person who during any 12-month period offers to lease 5 or more motor vehicles or who is assigned 5 or more leases.
(e) “Police department” means:
(1) The Department of State Police;
(2) The police department of any political subdivision of this State;
(3) In Baltimore City, the appropriate agency designated by the Board of Estimates;
(4) The police forces of public colleges and universities;
(5) In Prince George’s County, if designated by the County Executive, the Prince George’s County Department of Environmental Resources;
(6) In any municipality in Prince George’s County or Montgomery County, an appropriate agency or department designated by the governing body of the municipality; and
(7) The police force of any State government agency.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.