2013 Maryland Code
§ 21-1303 - Operating on laned roadways

MD Transp Code § 21-1303 (2013) What's This?


(a) (1) On any roadway that is divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic, the following rules, in addition to any others consistent with them apply.

(2) Subsections (c) and (d) of this section do not apply to police officers in the performance of their official duties.

(b) (1) This subsection does not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane.

(2) Every motorcycle is entitled to the full use of a lane, and a motor vehicle may not be driven in any manner that deprives any motorcycle of the full use of a lane.

(c) The operator of a motorcycle may not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.

(d) A person may not operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

(e) Motorcycles may not be operated more than two abreast in a single lane.

§ 21-1303 - 1. Restrictions; requirements

(a) Minimum engine size required on certain roadways. -- Notwithstanding any other provisions of this title, a person may not operate a motorcycle that has a motor with a rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less, or a capacity of less than 70 cubic centimeters piston displacement:

(1) On a roadway where the posted maximum speed limit is more than 50 miles per hour; or

(2) On any expressway or other controlled access highway.

(b) Dealer warnings required. --

(1) Prior to the sale of such vehicle, any dealer or agent or employee of a dealer, any vehicle salesman, or other person who sells a motorcycle as defined in this subsection shall inform the buyer of the operating restrictions imposed by this section.

(2) The Administration may provide a warning of the operating restrictions imposed by this subsection.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.