2013 Maryland Code
§ 21-1107 - Restrictions on persons in cargo areas of vehicles
(a) Subject to subsection (c) of this section, this section applies to:
(1) A truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more; and
(2) A truck/trailer or truck tractor/semitrailer or trailer combination that has a combined gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.
(b) While a vehicle subject to this section is being operated on a highway:
(1) The driver may not allow a person to occupy the area of the vehicle primarily intended to carry cargo; and
(2) A person may not occupy the area of the vehicle primarily intended to carry cargo.
(c) This section does not apply to:
(1) An attendant delegated to care for livestock;
(2) A vehicle that is controlled or operated by a farmer and is:
(i) Used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm;
(ii) Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
(iii) Used within 150 miles of the farmer’s farm;
(3) A vehicle owned or operated by the U.S. Department of Defense if the vehicle is controlled or operated by:
(i) Active duty military personnel; or
(ii) A member of the military reserves or National Guard on active duty, including personnel on full-time National Guard duty and personnel on part-time training; or
(4) A vehicle traveling at a speed of not more than 25 miles per hour.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.