2013 Maryland Code
§ 13-935 - Farm area/island vehicles: Class K (farm area/island) vehicles
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Farm area motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle owned by a farmer and operated only on a farm or on a highway within a 10-mile radius of the farm.
(3) “Island vehicle” means a motor vehicle, other than a golf cart, operated exclusively on an island that:
(i) Is not accessible by a highway;
(ii) Does not have State maintained highways; and
(iii) Contains less than 20 miles of highways.
(b) If registered with the Administration under this section, every farm area motor vehicle, every island vehicle, and every vehicle that meets the requirements of subsection (d)(1) of this section is a Class K (farm area/island) vehicle.
(c) Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, for each Class K (farm area/island) vehicle, the annual registration fee is $2.50.
(d) (1) The Administration may issue a temporary registration under this section to a vehicle, other than an island vehicle, that:
(i) Is owned by a resident of another state, or a company operating out of another state, if the individual or company is under contract with a Maryland farmer to conduct seasonal harvesting operations in this State;
(ii) Is used to transport perishable commodities directly between a farm and a packing plant for sorting and processing;
(iii) Passes a level 1 safety inspection conducted by the Department of State Police; and
(iv) Is only operated within a 35-mile radius of the location where the seasonal harvesting operations will occur.
(2) A temporary registration issued under this subsection may not be in effect for more than 90 days.
(3) The Department of State Police shall establish a weight limitation for vehicles registered under this subsection.
(4) A vehicle issued temporary registration under this subsection shall meet the mandatory minimum security requirements of Title 17, Subtitle 1 of this article.
(5) A person may not operate a vehicle registered under this subsection unless the person holds a driver’s license issued under Title 16 of this article, or a license to drive issued by the state of the person’s residence.
(6) The Administration may establish a fee for a temporary registration issued under this subsection.
(e) An island vehicle registered under this section may not be operated on a highway in the State that is not on an island described in subsection (a)(3) of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.