2013 Maryland Code
§ 13-903 - Exemptions
(a) The following vehicles are exempt from the registration fees specified in this subtitle:
(1) A vehicle that is owned and operated by the United States, this State, or any political subdivision of this State;
(2) A vehicle that is owned by a volunteer fire company incorporated in this State or by a rescue squad and that is used for fire fighting or ambulance purposes;
(3) A canteen wagon of a recognized fire buff organization, as certified by the International Fire Buffs Association;
(4) A vehicle owned and operated by the Civil Air Patrol;
(5) A vehicle owned and operated by a unit of a national veterans’ organization;
(6) A vehicle owned and operated by a Maryland chapter of the American Red Cross;
(7) A motor vehicle and trailer known as the “40-8 box car” that is owned and operated only for social or charitable purposes by any voiture of the Forty and Eight of the American Legion, Department of Maryland;
(8) A vehicle owned and personally used by a veteran who:
(i) As designated or classified by the Veterans’ Administration, has lost the use of a hand, arm, or leg, or is totally disabled; or
(ii) Has a permanent impairment of both eyes so that:
1. The central visual acuity is 20/200 or less in the better eye, with corrective glasses; or
2. There is a field defect in which the peripheral field has contracted to such an extent that the widest diameter of visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees in the better eye;
(9) A vehicle owned and personally used by an individual who is at least 65 years old and is the surviving spouse of a deceased disabled veteran, as defined under § 7-208 of the Tax - Property Article; and
(10) A Type I or Type II school vehicle owned and operated by a religious organization.
(b) The Administration may exempt from the registration fees specified in this subtitle any vehicle of a law enforcement agency of the United States or of any other state, if the United States or other state provides a reciprocal exemption for law enforcement vehicles of this State.
(c) (1) Each registered vehicle that is exempt from registration fees under subsection (a) of this section shall display a special identification marker approved by the Administrator.
(2) The special identification marker for a motor vehicle and trailer exempt under subsection (a)(7) of this section shall bear the number of the organization and the number of the local voiture, reading “40-8-(local number)”.
(3) The special identification marker for a vehicle exempt under subsection (a)(8)(i) of this section shall indicate that the Veterans’ Administration has designated or classified the veteran as having lost the use of a hand, arm, or leg or as being totally disabled.
(d) A disabled veteran whose vehicle is eligible for exemption under subsection (a)(8) of this section may, if eligible, receive the special registration number and special registration plates provided under § 13-616, § 13-617, § 13-618, § 13-619, § 13-619.1, or § 13-619.2 of this title without payment of the registration fees specified in this subtitle.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.