2013 Maryland Code
§ 13-815 - Tax credit for electric vehicles.
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Excise tax” means the tax imposed under § 13-809 of this subtitle.
(3) “Qualified plug-in electric drive vehicle” means a motor vehicle that:
(i) Is made by a manufacturer;
(ii) Is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways;
(iii) Has not been modified from original manufacturer specifications;
(iv) Is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer and not for resale;
(v) Is rated at not more than 8,500 pounds unloaded gross vehicle weight;
(vi) Has a maximum speed capability of at least 55 miles per hour;
(vii) Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that:
1. For a 4-wheeled motor vehicle, has a capacity of not less than 4 kilowatt-hours;
2. For a 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled motor vehicle, has a capacity of not less than 2.5 kilowatt-hours; and
3. Is capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity; and
(viii) Is titled by the taxpayer on or after October 1, 2010, but before July 1, 2013.
(b) (1) A credit is allowed against the excise tax imposed for a qualified plug-in electric drive vehicle.
(2) Subject to the limitations under subsections (c) through (e) of this section, the credit allowed under this section equals 100% of the excise tax imposed for a vehicle.
(c) The credit allowed under this section may not exceed $2,000.
(d) The credit allowed under this section is limited to the acquisition of:
(1) One vehicle per individual; and
(2) 10 vehicles per business entity.
(e) A credit may not be claimed under this section:
(1) For a vehicle unless the vehicle is registered in the State;
(2) Unless the manufacturer has already conformed to any applicable State or federal laws or regulations governing clean-fuel vehicle or electric vehicle purchases applicable during the calendar year in which the vehicle is titled; or
(3) For a vehicle that was initially registered in another state.
(f) The Motor Vehicle Administration shall administer the credit under this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.