2013 Maryland Code
§ 13-621 - Special registration plates for dealers
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Educational institution” includes:
(i) Public schools, as defined in § 1-101(k) of the Education Article; and
(ii) A public institution of higher education, as defined in § 11-206.1(a)(2) of the Education Article.
(3) “Licensed dealer” includes, as to Class 1A (dealer) plates provided for under § 13-940 of this title, a licensed manufacturer, licensed distributor, and licensed factory branch.
(b) If a licensed dealer owns a vehicle that is mainly used in the dealer’s business and that otherwise is required to be registered under this title, the dealer may apply to the Administration for the issuance of as many special, dealer registration plates as the Administration authorizes.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in § 15-305.1 of this article and Subtitle 9 of this title, a licensed dealer may:
(1) Drive, under any one dealer registration plate issued to the dealer:
(i) Any vehicle owned by the dealer and mainly used in the dealer’s business; and
(ii) Any vehicle in the possession of the dealer, but not owned by him, if the dealer has the consent of the owner of the vehicle to this use; and
(2) As to any vehicle the dealer owns and to which is attached any one dealer registration plate issued to the dealer:
(i) 1. Lend the vehicle to a prospective buyer, for demonstration purposes; and
2. Permit the prospective buyer to drive the vehicle under that plate for a period of not more than 10 days from the date of delivery of the vehicle to the prospective buyer, regardless of the business in which the prospective buyer is engaged or the use to which the vehicle will be put during the demonstration period; and
(ii) Lend the vehicle to an educational institution that provides accommodations for the deaf and hard of hearing in its driver’s education instruction under a manufacturer-sponsored driver’s education loan program approved by the Administration.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.