2013 Maryland Code
§ 5-132 - Handgun safety devices
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Authorized user” means the owner of a handgun or a person authorized by the owner to possess and use the handgun.
(3) “External safety lock” means an external device that is:
(i) attached to a handgun with a key or combination lock; and
(ii) designed to prevent a handgun from being discharged unless the device has been deactivated.
(4) “Handgun” does not include a signal, starter, or blank pistol.
(5) “Handgun Roster Board” means the Handgun Roster Board established under § 5-404 of this title.
(6) “Integrated mechanical safety device” means a disabling or locking device that is:
(i) built into a handgun; and
(ii) designed to prevent the handgun from being discharged unless the device has been deactivated.
(7) “Personalized handgun” means a handgun manufactured with incorporated design technology that:
(i) allows the handgun to be fired only by the authorized user; and
(ii) prevents any of the safety characteristics of the handgun from being readily deactivated.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) the purchase, sale, or transportation of a handgun to or by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer that provides or services a handgun for:
(i) personnel of any unit of the federal government;
(ii) members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard;
(iii) law enforcement personnel of the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State while acting within the scope of their official duties; and
(iv) an organization that is required by federal law governing its specific business or activity to maintain handguns and applicable ammunition;
(2) a firearm modified to be permanently inoperative;
(3) the sale or transfer of a handgun by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer covered under item (1) of this subsection;
(4) the sale or transfer of a handgun by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer to a lawful customer outside the State; or
(5) an antique firearm.
(c) (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.
(2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.
(d) (1) The Handgun Roster Board annually shall:
(i) review the status of personalized handgun technology; and
(ii) on or before July 1, report its findings to the Governor and, in accordance with § 2-1246 of the State Government Article, to the General Assembly.
(2) In reviewing the status of personalized handgun technology under paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Handgun Roster Board shall consider:
(i) the number and variety of models and calibers of personalized handguns that are available for sale;
(ii) each study, analysis, or other evaluation of personalized handguns conducted or commissioned by:
1. the National Institute of Justice;
2. a federal, State, or local law enforcement laboratory; or
3. any other entity with an expertise in handgun technology; and
(iii) any other information that the Handgun Roster Board considers relevant.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.