2013 Maryland Code
§ 14-906 - Compensation
(a) Each individual required to work under this subtitle is entitled to compensation not less than the compensation paid to others for the same work.
(b) If an individual is assigned to work for a unit of the State, the compensation of the individual shall be paid by the unit out of the appropriation made to it by the State.
(c) If an individual is assigned to work for a county, the compensation of the individual shall be paid by the county.
(d) (1) If an individual is assigned to work for a private employer, the compensation of the individual shall be paid by the private employer.
(2) Each private employer shall execute a bond to the State in the penalty and with the surety that the Governor approves, conditioned to guarantee the payment of compensation due to individuals assigned to work for the private employer.
(3) (i) If a private employer fails to pay the compensation due to an individual under this subsection, the compensation shall be paid by the State.
(ii) If money is appropriated for the purpose specified in subparagraph (i) of this paragraph:
1. payment shall be made on the order of the executive committee of the Maryland Council of Defense with the approval of the Governor;
2. the order shall be directed to the Comptroller; and
3. the Comptroller shall draw a warrant on the Treasurer for the amount of payment as provided by law.
(4) If the State compensates an individual under this subsection, the employer’s bond shall be in default and shall be put into suit by the State.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.