2013 Maryland Code
§ 9-310 - Exhaustion of rights; priority and nonduplication of recovery
(a) (1) A person with a claim against an insurer under a policy or surety bond that is also a covered claim against an insolvent insurer shall exhaust first the person’s rights under the policy or surety bond.
(2) The amount payable on a covered claim under this subtitle shall be reduced by the amount of any recovery under the policy or surety bond.
(b) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person with a claim that may be recovered under more than one insurance guaranty corporation or its equivalent shall seek recovery first:
(i) if the claim is a first party claim for damage to property with a permanent location, from the corporation or its equivalent of the location of the property; and
(ii) if the claim is any other claim, from the corporation or its equivalent of the residence of the insured.
(2) A person with a claim under a surety bond that may be recovered under more than one insurance guaranty corporation or its equivalent shall seek recovery first from the corporation or its equivalent of the place of performance of the obligation described in the surety bond.
(c) A recovery under this subtitle shall be reduced by the amount of recovery from any other insurance guaranty corporation or its equivalent.
§ 9-310 - 1. Obligations of Corporation to cease
(a) In general. -- Any obligation of the Corporation to defend an insured shall cease on payment by the Corporation, by settlement releasing the insured or on a judgment, of an amount equal to the lesser of the Corporation's covered claim obligation limit or the applicable policy limit.
(b) On payment of $10,000,000. --
(1) In this subsection, "affiliate" means a person that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another person.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subtitle, except for a claim for benefits under workers' compensation coverage, any obligation of the Corporation to any and all persons shall cease when $ 10,000,000 has been paid in the aggregate:
(i) by the Corporation and one or more insurance guaranty corporations or associations similar to the Corporation in other states or property casualty insurance security funds that obtain contributions from insurers on a pre-insolvency basis in other states;
(ii) to or on behalf of an insured and its affiliates; and
(iii) on covered claims or on claims allowed arising under one or more policies of one insolvent insurer.
(3) If the Corporation determines that there may be more than one claimant with a covered claim or allowed claim against the Corporation or any insurance guaranty corporations or associations similar to the Corporation in other states or any property casualty insurance security funds in other states, arising under one or more policies of one insolvent insurer, the Corporation may establish a plan to allocate amounts payable by the Corporation in the manner that the Corporation in its discretion considers equitable.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.