2013 Maryland Code
§ 9-103 - Order of Commissioner
If the Commissioner determines that the continued operation of an authorized insurer may be hazardous to policyholders or creditors of the authorized insurer or the general public, the Commissioner may issue an order that requires the authorized insurer to:
(1) reduce the total amount of present and potential liability for benefits under policies through reinsurance;
(2) reduce, suspend, or limit the volume of business being accepted or renewed;
(3) reduce general insurance and commission expenses by specified methods;
(4) increase capital and surplus;
(5) suspend or limit the declaration and payment of dividends to policyholders or stockholders;
(6) file reports in a form acceptable to the Commissioner about the market value of its assets;
(7) limit or withdraw from certain investments or discontinue certain investment practices to the extent that the Commissioner considers necessary;
(8) document the adequacy of premium rates in relation to risks insured;
(9) file, in addition to regular annual statements, interim financial reports on the form adopted by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners or in another form required by the Commissioner;
(10) correct corporate governance practice deficiencies and adopt and utilize governance practices acceptable to the Commissioner;
(11) provide a business plan to the Commissioner in order to continue to transact business in the State; or
(12) notwithstanding any other provision of law limiting the frequency or amount of premium rate adjustments, adjust rates for any nonlife insurance product written by the authorized insurer that the Commissioner considers necessary to improve the financial condition of the insurer.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.