2013 Maryland Code
§ 8-511 - Denials, refusals to renew, suspensions, and revocations; penalties; judicial review; civil damages
(a) Subject to the hearing provisions of §§ 2-210 through 2-214 of this article, the Commissioner may deny, refuse to renew, suspend, or revoke a reinsurance intermediary’s license, or a reinsurance intermediary’s insurance producer license, if the reinsurance intermediary has violated this subtitle or § 10-126 of this article.
(b) Instead of or in addition to the penalties provided in subsection (a) of this section, the Commissioner:
(1) may impose a penalty not exceeding $5,000 for each violation of this subtitle;
(2) may bring a civil action for the benefit of an insurer or reinsurer and its policyholders and creditors to recover compensatory damages or may seek other appropriate relief; and
(3) may impose any other penalty authorized by this article.
(c) An order of the Commissioner issued under this section is subject to judicial review in accordance with § 2-215 of this article.
(d) A receiver appointed under Title 9, Subtitle 2 of this article may bring a civil action to recover damages or for other appropriate sanctions for the benefit of an insurer if the receiver determines that:
(1) a reinsurance intermediary or other person has failed to comply materially with this subtitle; and
(2) the failure has caused an insurer under an order of rehabilitation or liquidation to suffer a loss or damage.
(e) This section is not intended to limit the rights of policyholders or claimants of an insurer or reinsurer.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.