2013 Maryland Code
§ 20-507 - Determination, collection, and financing of premiums
(a) Subject to the approval of the Commissioner, the Executive Director shall determine the premiums to be charged on policies issued by the Fund.
(b) (1) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, the provisions of Title 11, Subtitle 2 of this article apply to the determination of premiums by the Executive Director.
(2) Notwithstanding Title 11, Subtitle 2 of this article or any other provision of this title, the Executive Director may base premiums on one or both of the following items:
(i) the number of points accumulated by an insured or applicant for insurance under the point system provided for in Title 16, Subtitle 4 of the Transportation Article; or
(ii) the prior claims experience of an insured or applicant for insurance.
(c) (1) Premiums for all commercial coverage shall be determined in accordance with this section and § 20-508 of this subtitle.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, the rating principles under subsection (d) of this section may not be used to determine the premium for commercial coverage.
(d) In reviewing rates filed by the Fund, the Commissioner shall consider not only the rating principles under Title 11, Subtitle 2 of this article but also the statutory purpose of the Fund under § 20-301 of this title.
(e) (1) The Motor Vehicle Administration and Executive Director may arrange for the Motor Vehicle Administration to collect premiums on policies issued by the Fund when the Motor Vehicle Administration issues a driver’s license or certificate of registration.
(2) A premium collected under this subsection shall be paid to the State Treasurer for the account of the Fund.
(f) (1) The Fund may not:
(i) provide directly or indirectly for the financing of premiums; or
(ii) accept premiums on an installment basis.
(2) A premium may be financed only by a premium finance company registered with the Commissioner in accordance with § 23-201 of this article.
(3) If a prospective insured’s initial payment to the Fund, a fund producer, or premium finance company is not honored, a policy or endorsement issued in reliance on that payment is void.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.