2013 Maryland Code
§ 18-103 - Compliance with title required; advertising; marketing
(a) A carrier may not advertise, market, or offer a policy, contract, or certificate in the State as long-term care insurance or long-term nursing home insurance unless the policy or contract complies with this title.
(b) (1) Before a carrier advertises, on television or radio or in writing, a policy or contract of long-term care insurance or long-term nursing home insurance that is offered for sale in the State, the carrier shall submit a copy of the advertisement to the Commissioner for review.
(2) The carrier shall retain each advertisement for 3 years after the date the advertisement first was used.
(3) The Commissioner may exempt a carrier or a carrier’s advertising form or material from the requirements of this section if in the opinion of the Commissioner the requirements may not reasonably be applied.
(c) A carrier that markets long-term care insurance in the State shall:
(1) establish marketing procedures to ensure that any comparison of policies by insurance producers of the carrier will be fair and accurate;
(2) establish marketing procedures to prevent the sale or issuance of excessive insurance;
(3) establish procedures for verifying compliance with this subsection;
(4) provide, to the extent possible, information on any senior citizen counseling program;
(5) display prominently on the first page of the outline of coverage and the policy the following:
“Notice to buyer: This policy may not cover all the costs associated with long-term care incurred by the buyer during the period of coverage. The buyer is advised to review carefully all policy limitations.”; and
(6) make every reasonable effort to identify whether a prospective applicant:
(i) already has long-term care insurance and, if so, the types and amounts of the long-term care insurance;
(ii) had long-term care insurance in force during the last 12 months;
(iii) is covered under the medical assistance program; or
(iv) intends to replace any existing medical or health insurance coverage with long-term care insurance.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.