2013 Maryland Code
§ 17-209 - Insurance on spouse or child of employee or member
(a) (1) Insurance under a policy of group life insurance issued in accordance with §§ 17-201 through 17-205 of this subtitle may be extended to cover the spouse, domestic partner, or dependent children of each insured employee or member who elects to obtain the coverage.
(2) The policy may provide that the term “dependent children” includes:
(i) an insured employee’s or member’s child under 18 years of age; and
(ii) an insured employee’s or member’s child 18 years of age or older who attends an educational institution and relies on the insured employee or member for financial support.
(3) The term “domestic partner” has the meaning stated in the policy.
(4) The insurance on the life of a spouse, domestic partner, or child may not exceed the amount of the insurance on the life of the insured employee or member.
(b) The policyholder shall pay the premium for the insurance on the spouse, domestic partner, or child:
(1) wholly from the funds of the policyholder or funds contributed by the policyholder;
(2) wholly from funds contributed by the insured employees or members; or
(3) partly from the funds of the policyholder or funds contributed by the policyholder and partly from funds contributed by the insured employees or members.
(c) A spouse, domestic partner, or dependent child insured under this section is entitled to:
(1) the rights of conversion under § 17-309 of this title, if employment of the employee or membership in the class or classes eligible for insurance under the policy is terminated; and
(2) the rights of conversion under § 17-310 of this title, if the policy of group life insurance terminates or is amended to terminate the insurance of the spouse, domestic partner, or dependent child.
(d) Notwithstanding § 17-308 of this title, only one certificate must be issued for each family unit if a statement about a dependent’s coverage is included in the certificate.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.