2013 Maryland Code
§ 15-924 - Solicitations of sales of health insurance policies to individuals eligible for Medicare
(a) Solicitation of the sale of a health insurance policy proposed to be issued to an individual eligible for Medicare may be made only in accordance with this section and § 15-925 of this subtitle.
(b) (1) When soliciting the sale of a health insurance policy to an individual eligible for Medicare, a carrier or insurance producer shall ask the individual whether the individual:
(i) is already covered by an existing Medicare supplement policy; and
(ii) is entitled to Medicaid benefits.
(2) The carrier or insurance producer shall obtain a written statement from the individual that verifies the individual’s information provided under paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(c) When soliciting or advertising the sale of a health insurance policy to an individual eligible for Medicare, a carrier or insurance producer may not:
(1) represent or imply that the carrier or insurance producer represents, works for, or is compensated by a federal, State, or local government agency;
(2) falsely represent or imply that the carrier or insurance producer is offering insurance to supplement Medicare that is approved or recommended by a federal, State, or local government agency;
(3) use terms such as “Medicare consultant”, “Medicare advisor”, “Medicare bureau”, or “disability insurance consultant” when describing the carrier or insurance producer in a letter, envelope, reply card, or any other writing or advertisement or in any oral representation; or
(4) knowingly make a misrepresentation or incomplete or fraudulent comparison by commission or omission of a policy or carrier to induce or attempt to induce the individual to:
(i) purchase, amend, lapse, surrender, forfeit, change, duplicate, or not renew coverage already in force;
(ii) replace a policy that is only technically at variance with the policy being offered by the carrier or insurance producer; or
(iii) take out a policy with another carrier.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.