2013 Maryland Code
§ 15-822 - Coverage for diabetes equipment, supplies, and self-management training
(a) This section applies to:
(1) insurers and nonprofit health service plans that provide hospital, medical, or surgical benefits to individuals or groups on an expense-incurred basis under health insurance policies that are issued or delivered in the State; and
(2) health maintenance organizations that provide hospital, medical, or surgical benefits to individuals or groups under contracts that are issued or delivered in the State.
(b) An entity subject to this section shall provide coverage for all medically appropriate and necessary diabetes equipment, diabetes supplies, and diabetes outpatient self-management training and educational services, including medical nutrition therapy, that the insured’s or enrollee’s treating physician or other appropriately licensed health care provider, or a physician who specializes in the treatment of diabetes, certifies are necessary for the treatment of:
(1) insulin-using diabetes;
(2) noninsulin-using diabetes; or
(3) elevated blood glucose levels induced by pregnancy.
(c) If certified as necessary under subsection (b) of this section, the diabetes outpatient self-management training and educational services, including medical nutrition therapy, to be provided to the insured or enrollee shall be provided through a program supervised by an appropriately licensed, registered, or certified health care provider whose scope of practice includes diabetes education or management.
(d) (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, the coverage required under this section may be subject to the annual deductibles or coinsurance requirements imposed by an entity subject to this section for similar coverages under the same health insurance policy or contract.
(2) The annual deductibles or coinsurance requirements imposed under paragraph (1) of this subsection for the coverage required under this section may not be greater than the annual deductibles or coinsurance requirements imposed by the entity for similar coverages.
(e) An entity subject to this section may not reduce or eliminate coverages in its health insurance policies or contracts due to the requirements of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.