2013 Maryland Code
§ 15-1409 - Nonrenewal of plans
(a) A carrier that elects not to renew all of a particular type of coverage or policy form in the State shall:
(1) provide notice of the nonrenewal at least 90 days before the date of the nonrenewal to each affected:
(ii) plan sponsor;
(iii) participant; and
(2) offer to each affected plan sponsor the option to purchase any other health insurance coverage currently being offered by the carrier; and
(3) act uniformly without regard to the claims experience of any affected plan sponsor, or any health status-related factor of any affected individual.
(b) A carrier may elect not to renew all group health benefit plans in the State.
(c) When a carrier elects not to renew all group health benefit plans in the State, the carrier:
(1) shall give notice of its decision to the affected individuals at least 180 days before the effective date of nonrenewal;
(2) at least 30 working days before that notice, shall give notice to the Commissioner; and
(3) may not write new business for groups in the State for a 5-year period beginning on the date of notice to the Commissioner.
(d) A health maintenance organization need not offer coverage to an individual who does not live, reside, or work within the health maintenance organization’s approved service areas.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.