2013 Maryland Code
§ 15-1406 - Eligibility of individual to enroll under group plan
(a) A carrier may not establish rules for eligibility of an individual to enroll under a group health benefit plan based on any health status-related factor.
(b) Subsection (a) of this section does not:
(1) require a carrier to provide particular benefits other than those provided under the terms of the particular health benefit plan; or
(2) prevent a carrier from establishing limitations or restrictions on the amount, level, extent, or nature of the benefits or coverage for similarly situated individuals enrolled in the health benefit plan.
(c) Rules for eligibility to enroll under a plan include rules defining any applicable waiting periods for enrollment.
(d) A carrier shall allow an employee or dependent who is eligible, but not enrolled, for coverage under the terms of a group health benefit plan to enroll for coverage under the terms of the plan if:
(1) the employee or dependent was covered under an employer-sponsored plan or group health benefit plan at the time coverage was previously offered to the employee or dependent;
(2) the employee states in writing, at the time coverage was previously offered, that coverage under an employer-sponsored plan or group health benefit plan was the reason for declining enrollment, but only if the plan sponsor or issuer requires the statement and provides the employee with notice of the requirement;
(3) the employee’s or dependent’s coverage described in item (1) of this subsection:
(i) was under a COBRA continuation provision, and the coverage under that provision was exhausted; or
(ii) was not under a COBRA continuation provision, and either the coverage was terminated as a result of loss of eligibility for the coverage, including loss of eligibility as a result of legal separation, divorce, death, termination of employment, or reduction in the number of hours of employment, or employer contributions towards the coverage were terminated; and
(4) under the terms of the plan, the employee requests enrollment not later than 30 days after:
(i) the date of exhaustion of coverage described in item (3)(i) of this subsection; or
(ii) termination of coverage or termination of employer contributions described in item (3)(ii) of this subsection.
(e) A carrier shall allow an employee or dependent who is eligible, but not enrolled, for coverage under the terms of a group health benefit plan to enroll for coverage under the terms of the plan if the employee or dependent requests enrollment within 30 days after the employee or dependent is determined to be eligible for coverage under the MCHP private option plan in accordance with § 15-301.1 of the Health - General Article.
§ 15-1406 - 1. Enrollment of dependents
(a) "Eligible employee" defined. -- In this section, "eligible employee" means:
(1) a participant under the group health benefit plan; or
(2) an individual who:
(i) has met any waiting period applicable to becoming a participant under the group health benefit plan;
(ii) is eligible to be enrolled under the plan; and
(iii) is not a participant in the group health benefit plan because of failure to enroll during a previous enrollment period.
(b) Applicability. -- This section applies if a group health benefit plan makes coverage available to dependents of an eligible employee.
(c) Special enrollment period. -- A group health benefit plan subject to this section shall provide a special enrollment period during which the following individuals may be enrolled under the group health benefit plan:
(1) an individual who becomes a dependent of an eligible employee through marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption;
(2) an eligible employee who acquires a new dependent through marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption; and
(3) the spouse of an eligible employee at the birth or adoption of a child, provided the spouse is otherwise eligible for coverage.
(d) Terms of special enrollment period. -- An eligible employee may not enroll a dependent during a special enrollment period unless the eligible employee:
(1) is enrolled under the health benefit plan; or
(2) applies for coverage for the eligible employee during the same special enrollment period.
(e) Length of special enrollment period. -- The special enrollment period under subsection (c) of this section shall be a period of not less than 31 days and shall begin on the later of:
(1) the date dependent coverage is made available; or
(2) the date of the marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption, whichever is applicable.
(f) Effective date of coverage. -- If an eligible employee enrolls any of the individuals described in subsection (c) of this section during the first 31 days of the special enrollment period, the coverage shall become effective as follows:
(1) in the case of marriage, not later than the first day of the first month beginning after the date the completed request for enrollment is received;
(2) in the case of a dependent's birth, as of the date of the dependent's birth; and
(3) in the case of a dependent's adoption or placement for adoption, the date of adoption or placement for adoption, whichever occurs first.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.