2013 Maryland Code
§ 15-1315 - Plans issued through Individual Exchange [Effective January 1, 2014].
(a) Definitions. --
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "Individual Exchange" has the meaning stated in § 31-101 of this article.
(3) "Qualified health plan" has the meaning stated in § 31-101 of this article.
(4) "Qualified individual" has the meaning stated in § 31-101 of this article.
(b) Scope of section. -- This section applies to a qualified health plan that is issued on or after January 1, 2014, by a carrier through the Individual Exchange.
(c) Grace period provision. -- A qualified health plan subject to this section shall include a grace period provision applicable to a qualified individual who:
(1) is receiving advance payments of federal premium tax credits; and
(2) has paid at least 1 full month's premium during the benefit year.
(d) Scope of grace period. -- The grace period provision shall:
(1) provide a grace period of 3 consecutive months; and
(2) be in addition to any other grace period provision required by any other applicable State law.
(e) Duties of carrier during grace period. -- During the grace period, a carrier that issues a qualified health plan subject to this section:
(1) shall pay all appropriate claims for services rendered to the qualified individual during the first month of the grace period;
(2) may pend claims for services rendered to the qualified individual in the second and third months of the grace period;
(3) shall notify the federal Department of Health and Human Services that the qualified individual is in the grace period; and
(4) shall notify providers of the possibility that claims may be denied when a qualified individual is in the second and third months of the grace period.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.