2013 Maryland Code
§ 15-105 - Coverage information about breast implants
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Breast implant” means a pocket or envelope that is surgically inserted under the skin and contains soft silicone gel, saline solution, or a combination of soft silicone gel and saline solution.
(3) “Breast implant-related condition” means a condition that the federal Food and Drug Administration recognizes as possibly linked to breast implants.
(b) This section applies to:
(1) insurers and nonprofit health service plans that provide hospital, medical, or surgical benefits to individuals or groups on an expense-incurred basis under health insurance policies that are issued or delivered in the State; and
(2) health maintenance organizations that provide hospital, medical, or surgical benefits to individuals or groups under contracts that are issued or delivered in the State.
(c) An entity subject to this section shall provide information to the Commissioner about the entity’s:
(1) coverage for breast implant removals and breast implant-related conditions; and
(2) preexisting condition provisions in policies for individuals with breast implants.
(d) (1) On request, the Commissioner shall make available to consumers and licensed physicians the information collected under subsection (c) of this section.
(2) When providing the information, the Commissioner may include a statement that the Commissioner does not guarantee the accuracy of the information.
(3) The Commissioner may set a fee to cover the cost of providing the information under paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(e) A licensed physician may make available to a patient the information obtained from the Commissioner under subsection (d) of this section.
(f) The Commissioner shall adopt regulations to carry out this section, including regulations that determine the extent and format of the information required under subsection (c) of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.