2013 Maryland Code
§ 7-401 - School health program
(a) With the assistance of the county health department, each county board shall provide:
(1) Adequate school health services;
(2) Instruction in health education, including the importance of physical activity in maintaining good health; and
(3) A healthful school environment.
(b) The Department of Education and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene jointly shall:
(1) Develop public standards and guidelines for school health programs; and
(2) Offer assistance to the county boards and county health departments in their implementation.
(c) (1) (i) Each county board shall designate a school health services program coordinator.
(ii) A county board may authorize the county health department to designate the school health services program coordinator.
(2) The school health services program coordinator shall:
(i) Implement State and local health policies in the public schools;
(ii) Ensure that public schools adhere to local health services guidelines; and
(iii) Communicate State and local health policies to the parents and guardians of public school students.
(3) The county board shall grant the school health services program coordinator the authority to carry out the provisions of this subsection.
(4) The Department of Education shall conduct at least two meetings annually with all school health services program coordinators in the State.
(d) On or before December 1, 2015, and every 5 years thereafter, the Department shall report to the Governor and, subject to § 2-1246 of the State Government Article, to the General Assembly a summary of the information reported to the State Superintendent during the COMAR certification process.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.