2013 Maryland Code
CORPORATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
§ 5-525 - Patronage distributions
(a) At the time and in the manner which its bylaws provide, each cooperative shall apportion and distribute its net proceeds or savings to the persons entitled to receive them on the basis of their patronage.
(b) The bylaws may provide:
(1) That the apportionment and distribution of the net proceeds or savings may be restricted to members or be made at the same or different rates for members and nonmember patrons;
(2) For any reasonable apportionment and charging of net losses;
(3) That any distribution to a nonmember eligible for membership may be credited to him until the amount credited equals the value of a membership certificate or a share of the common stock of the cooperatives; and
(4) The minimum amount of any single patronage transaction which will be considered for the purpose of participation in an allocation or distribution of net proceeds, savings, or losses under this section.
(c) An apportionment and distribution of net proceeds or savings may be in cash, credits, capital stock, certificates of interest, certificates of equity, revolving fund certificates, letters of advice, or other securities or certificates issued by the cooperative or by any affiliated Maryland or foreign cooperative.
(d) Apportionment and distribution of net proceeds, savings, or losses may be separately determined and based on:
(1) The patronage of single or multiple pools or particular departments of the cooperative;
(2) The patronage as to particular commodities, supplies, or services; or
(3) The classification of patronage according to its type.
(e) For purposes of this section, net proceeds, savings, or losses shall be computed in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles applicable to cooperatives, after deducting from gross proceeds or savings all costs and expenses of operation and any dividends paid on capital stock and interest paid on certificates or other evidence of equity in any fund, capital investment, or other assets of the cooperative.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.