2013 Maryland Code
CORPORATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
§ 4A-1101 - Definitions.
(a) In general. -- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Benefit limited liability company. -- "Benefit limited liability company" means a Maryland limited liability company that elects to be a benefit limited liability company in accordance with § 4A-1103 of this subtitle and has not ceased to be a benefit limited liability company through the operation of § 4A-1105 of this subtitle.
(c) General public benefit. -- "General public benefit" means a material, positive impact on society and the environment, as measured by a third-party standard, through activities that promote a combination of specific public benefits.
(d) Specific public benefit. -- "Specific public benefit" includes:
(1) Providing individuals or communities with beneficial products or services;
(2) Promoting economic opportunity for individuals or communities beyond the creation of jobs in the normal course of business;
(3) Preserving the environment;
(4) Improving human health;
(5) Promoting the arts, sciences, or advancement of knowledge;
(6) Increasing the flow of capital to entities with a public benefit purpose; or
(7) The accomplishment of any other particular benefit for society or the environment.
(e) Third-party standard. -- "Third-party standard" means a standard for defining, reporting, and assessing best practices in social and environmental performance that:
(1) Is developed by a person or entity that is independent of the benefit limited liability company; and
(2) Is transparent because the following information about the standard is publicly available or accessible:
(i) The factors considered when measuring the performance of a business;
(ii) The relative weightings of those factors; and
(iii) The identity of the persons who developed and control changes to the standard and the process by which those changes were made.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.