2013 Maryland Code
§ 5-101 - Definitions
(a) In this title the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) (1) “Burial goods” means goods that are used in connection with burial.
(2) “Burial goods” includes:
(i) a casket;
(ii) a grave liner;
(iii) a memorial;
(iv) a monument;
(v) a scroll;
(vi) an urn;
(vii) a vase; and
(viii) a vault.
(c) “Burial goods business” means a business that provides burial goods.
(d) (1) “Cemetery” means land used or to be used for interment.
(2) “Cemetery” includes a structure used or to be used for interment.
(e) “Cremation” means the process of reducing human remains to bone fragments through intense heat and evaporation, including any mechanical or thermal process.
(f) “Crematory” means a building, portion of a building, or structure that houses the necessary appliances and facilities for cremation.
(g) “Director” means the Director of the Office of Cemetery Oversight.
(h) “Engage in the operation of a cemetery” means owning, controlling, or managing a cemetery, including performing activities necessary for:
(1) the establishment, improvement, care, preservation, or embellishment of a cemetery;
(2) interment; and
(3) the providing of burial space or burial goods.
(i) (1) “Engage in the operation of a crematory” means controlling or managing a crematory.
(2) “Engage in the operation of a crematory” does not include:
(i) the practice of funeral direction or the practice of mortuary science; or
(ii) 1. assistance in making decisions and filling out forms that are not directly related to cremation;
2. obtaining vital statistics, signatures, and other information necessary to complete a death certificate;
3. transportation of a body to the place of disposition; or
4. any other services regarding the disposition of a body that are not directly related to cremation.
(j) “Funeral establishment” means a building, structure, or premises from which the business of funeral directing or embalming is conducted.
(k) (1) “Human remains” means:
(i) the body of a deceased person; or
(ii) a part of a body or limb that has been removed from a living person.
(2) “Human remains” includes the body or part of a body or limb in any state of decomposition.
(l) “Interment” means all final disposition of human remains, including:
(1) earth burial;
(2) mausoleum entombment; and
(3) niche or columbarium interment.
(m) “Office” means the Office of Cemetery Oversight.
(n) “Permit” means a permit issued by the Director to allow a partnership, limited liability company, or corporation to operate a business through which a registrant may:
(1) engage in the operation of a cemetery or crematory; or
(2) provide burial goods.
(o) (1) “Preneed goods” means burial goods that are sold before the buyer’s death.
(2) “Preneed goods” does not include burial space.
(p) “Provide burial goods” means a retail transaction:
(1) to erect, service, or inscribe burial memorials; or
(2) to sell burial goods.
(q) “Registered cemeterian” means an individual registered to operate a cemetery as a sole proprietor or on behalf of a sole proprietor or of a permit holder.
(r) “Registered crematory operator” means an individual registered to operate a crematory as a sole proprietor or on behalf of a sole proprietor or permit holder.
(s) “Registered seller” means an individual registered to provide burial goods as a sole proprietor or on behalf of a sole proprietor or of a permit holder.
(t) “Registration” means a registration issued by the Director authorizing an individual to operate a cemetery, to operate a crematory, or to provide burial goods.
(u) “Responsible party” means a sole proprietor or the individual designated by a partnership, limited liability company, or corporation to be responsible for the operations of a cemetery, crematory, or burial goods business.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.