2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 21 - VEHICLE LAWS - RULES OF THE ROAD
Subtitle 11 - Miscellaneous Rules
Section 21-1124.1 - Text messaging prohibited.
§ 21-1124.1. Text messaging prohibited.
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "9-1-1 system" has the meaning stated in § 1-301 of the Public Safety Article.
(3) "Text messaging device" means a hand held device used to send a text message or an electronic message via a short message service, wireless telephone service, or electronic communication network.
(b) In general.- Subject to subsection (c) of this section, a person may not use a text messaging device to write or send a text message while operating a motor vehicle in motion or in the travel portion of the roadway.
(c) Exceptions.- This section does not apply to the use of:
(1) A global positioning system; or
(2) A text messaging device to contact a 9-1-1 system.
[2009, chs. 194, 195.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.