2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 16 - VEHICLE LAWS - DRIVERS' LICENSES
Subtitle 1 - Issuance, Expiration, and Renewal of Licenses
Section 16-101 - Drivers must be licensed.
§ 16-101. Drivers must be licensed.
(a) In general.- An individual may not drive or attempt to drive a motor vehicle on any highway in this State unless:
(1) The individual holds a driver's license issued under this title;
(2) The individual is expressly exempt from the licensing requirements of this title; or
(3) The individual otherwise is specifically authorized by this title to drive vehicles of the class that the individual is driving or attempting to drive.
(b) Motor-assisted bicycles.- Each individual operating on any highway in this State a moped, as defined in § 11-134.1 of this article or a motor scooter, as defined in § 11-134.5 of this article, shall have with the individual:
(1) A driver's license issued to the individual under this title, which license may be of any class issued by the Administration;
(2) If the individual is a nonresident of this State, a license to drive issued to the individual by the state or country of the individual's residence, which license may be for any class of vehicle; or
(3) A moped operator's permit issued to the individual under this subtitle.
[An. Code 1957, art. 661/2, § 6-101; 1977, ch. 14, § 2; 1978, ch. 328; 1981, ch. 743; 1998, ch. 483; 2001, ch. 557; 2006, ch. 44, § 5; ch. 329.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.