2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 15 - VEHICLE LAWS - LICENSING OF BUSINESSES AND OCCUPATIONS
Subtitle 3 - Dealers
Section 15-313 - Prohibited acts - Advertising practices.
§ 15-313. Prohibited acts - Advertising practices.
(a) Deceptive advertising.- A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may not use any advertisement that is in any way false, deceptive, or misleading.
(b) Advertising vehicles without intent to sell as advertised.- A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may not by any means advertise or offer to the public any vehicle without intent to sell it as advertised or offered.
(c) Statement of purchase price.- A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer:
(1) May not state the purchase price of a vehicle in an advertisement unless the price is the full delivered purchase price of the vehicle, excluding only taxes, title fees, and any freight or dealer processing charge disclosed in accordance with § 15-311.1 of this subtitle; and
(2) Shall print the full delivered purchase price in a vehicle advertisement in the largest font used in the advertisement to provide any information related to the price of the vehicle.
(d) Placing insignias, logos, etc., on vehicles.-
(1) A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may not place on a vehicle an insignia, logo, or other plate that advertises the name of the dealer, unless:
(i) The contract of sale for the vehicle contains a notice of the rights of the buyer described in this subsection; and
(ii) The buyer of the vehicle consents to the placement of the insignia, logo, or other plate on the vehicle.
(2) A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may enter into an agreement with a buyer of a vehicle to compensate the buyer in exchange for the buyer's consent to the placement on the vehicle of an insignia, logo, or other plate that advertises the name of the dealer.
(3) If a dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer places an insignia, logo, or other plate that advertises the name of the dealer without obtaining a buyer's consent, the dealer shall, at the request of the buyer, remove the advertising and make all repairs necessary to restore the vehicle to its original appearance at no charge to the buyer.
(e) Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) vehicle.- A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may not sell a class A (passenger) or class M (multipurpose) vehicle that has a maximum speed capability of more than 25 miles per hour but less than 55 miles per hour unless the dealer:
(1) Permanently affixes an emblem to the vehicle in accordance with § 21-805.1 of this article; and
(2) Informs the buyer in writing that the vehicle may be driven lawfully only on highways on which the speed capability of the vehicle exceeds the posted maximum speed limit for the highway by at least 5 miles per hour.
[An. Code 1957, art. 661/2, § 5-401; 1977, ch. 14, § 2; 1980, ch. 179; 1986, ch. 398; ch. 472, § 1; 2009, chs. 322, 323; 2010, ch. 546.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.