2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 13 - VEHICLE LAWS - CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
Subtitle 9 - Registration Classifications and Fees
Section 13-937.1 - Street rod: Class N (street rod) vehicles.
§ 13-937.1. Street rod: Class N (street rod) vehicles.
(a) "Street rod" defined.- In this section, "street rod" means a motor vehicle that:
(1) Is 25 years old or older; and
(2) Has been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
(b) Classification.- Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, if registered with the Administration under this section, every street rod is a Class N (street rod) vehicle.
(c) Annual fee.- For each Class N (street rod) vehicle, the annual registration fee is $25.00.
(d) Special registration requirements.- In applying for registration of a street rod under this section, the owner of the street rod shall submit with the application a certification that the vehicle for which the application is made:
(1) Will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and
(2) Will not be used:
(i) For general daily transportation; or
(ii) Primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.
(1) The registration of a street rod registered before July 1, 1987 as a Class L (historic) vehicle shall remain valid until midnight on the date indicated on the registration card issued by the Administration.
(2) On expiration of a street rod's registration as a Class L (historic) vehicle, a street rod registered with the Administration shall be registered as a Class N (street rod) vehicle as required by this section.
(f) Special registration plate.- Except as provided in § 13-936.1 of this subtitle, on registration of a vehicle under this section, the Administration shall issue a special street rod vehicle registration plate of the size and design that the Administration determines.
(g) Exception from equipment requirements.- Unless the presence of the equipment was specifically required by a statute of this State as a condition of sale when the vehicle was manufactured, the presence of any specific equipment is not required for the operation of a vehicle registered under this section.
(h) Exemption from inspection requirements.- A vehicle registered under this section is exempt from any statute that requires periodic vehicle inspections or that requires the use and inspection of emission controls.
[1987, ch. 230; 1988, ch. 216, § 1; 1989, ch. 5, § 1; 2004, chs. 9, 25.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.