2010 Maryland Code
TAX - PROPERTY
TITLE 12 - RECORDATION TAXES
Section 12-109 - Payment of recordation tax.
§ 12-109. Payment of recordation tax.
(a) When recordation tax payable.-
(1) An instrument of writing that is taxable under this title may not be recorded in any county until the recordation tax has been paid as provided by subsection (b) of this section.
(2) An instrument of writing that is taxable under this title may not be filed with the Department until the recordation tax has been paid as provided by subsection (b) of this section.
(b) Where paid.-
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the recordation tax on an instrument of writing or a security agreement recorded under subsection (a)(1) of this section in any county shall be paid to the collector or the clerk of the circuit court for the county, as designated by the governing body of the county.
(2) In Prince George's County, the recordation tax on an instrument of writing or a security agreement recorded under subsection (a)(1) of this section shall be paid to the Director of Finance of Prince George's County.
(3) The recordation tax on articles of transfer, articles of merger, articles of consolidation or other documents which evidence a merger or consolidation of foreign corporations, foreign partnerships, foreign limited liability companies, or foreign limited partnerships filed with the Department shall be paid to the Department.
[An. Code 1957, art. 81, §§ 277, 278; 1985, ch. 8, § 2; 1986, ch. 686; 1988, ch. 550; 1992, ch. 536; 1997, ch. 654, § 2; 2000, chs. 639, 679.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.