2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 5 - FIREARMS
Subtitle 1 - Regulated Firearms
Section 5-130 - Gun shows.
§ 5-130. Gun shows.
(a) "Gun show" defined.- In this section, "gun show" means any organized gathering open to the public at which any firearm is displayed.
(b) Scope of section.- Subsections (c) through (h) of this section do not apply to a licensee.
(c) Temporary transfer permit required.- A person must obtain a temporary transfer permit issued by the Secretary before the person displays a regulated firearm for sale or transfer from a table or fixed display at a gun show.
(d) Application for temporary transfer permit.-
(1) An applicant for a temporary transfer permit shall:
(i) submit to the Secretary an application on the form that the Secretary provides; and
(ii) pay to the Secretary a fee of $10 for each calendar year.
(2) Each additional temporary transfer permit during the same calendar year shall be issued without charge.
(e) Required information.- The application for a temporary transfer permit shall contain any information that is necessary for the Secretary to conduct a computer background investigation.
(f) Required warning.- Each application for a temporary transfer permit shall contain the following statement: "Any false information supplied or statement made in this application is a crime which may be punished by imprisonment for a period of not more than 3 years or a fine not more than $5,000 or both.".
(g) Investigation of application; grounds for disapproval.-
(1) The Secretary shall conduct an investigation to determine the truth or falsity of the information supplied and the statements made in the application for a temporary transfer permit.
(2) If there is no reason to disapprove the application for a temporary transfer permit, the Secretary shall issue the permit within 7 days after the date of application.
(3) The Secretary shall disapprove an application for a temporary transfer permit if the Secretary determines that:
(i) the applicant supplied false information or made a false statement; or
(ii) the application is not properly completed.
(4) If the Secretary disapproves an application for a temporary transfer permit, the Secretary shall notify the applicant in writing of the disapproval.
(h) Label and display.-
(1) A temporary transfer permit shall be clearly labeled "temporary" and shall include the statement: "This is not a license to engage in the business of selling firearms.".
(2) The temporary transfer permit shall be placed in public view as part of any display of a regulated firearm.
(i) Five permit limit.-
(1) A person may not receive more than five temporary transfer permits during a single calendar year.
(2) To display a regulated firearm for sale, trade, or transfer at more than five gun shows in a calendar year, a person shall obtain a dealer's license under this subtitle.
(j) Sale or transfer of regulated firearm.- A sale or transfer of a regulated firearm from a table or fixed display at a gun show is governed by §§ 5-103, 5-104, 5-117 through 5-129, and 5-136 of this subtitle.
[An. Code 1957, art. 27, §§ 441(k), 443A; 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.