2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 3 - LAW ENFORCEMENT
Subtitle 1 - Law Enforcement Officers' Bill of Rights
Section 3-101 - Definitions.
§ 3-101. Definitions.
(a) In general.- In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(1) "Chief" means the head of a law enforcement agency.
(2) "Chief" includes the officer designated by the head of a law enforcement agency.
(1) "Hearing" means a proceeding during an investigation conducted by a hearing board to take testimony or receive other evidence.
(2) "Hearing" does not include an interrogation at which no testimony is taken under oath.
(d) Hearing board.- "Hearing board" means a board that is authorized by the chief to hold a hearing on a complaint against a law enforcement officer.
(e) Law enforcement officer.-
(1) "Law enforcement officer" means an individual who:
(i) in an official capacity is authorized by law to make arrests; and
(ii) is a member of one of the following law enforcement agencies:
1. the Department of State Police;
2. the Police Department of Baltimore City;
3. the Baltimore City School Police Force;
4. the Baltimore City Watershed Police Force;
5. the police department, bureau, or force of a county;
6. the police department, bureau, or force of a municipal corporation;
7. the office of the sheriff of a county;
8. the police department, bureau, or force of a bicounty agency;
9. the Maryland Transportation Authority Police;
10. the police forces of the Department of Transportation;
11. the police forces of the Department of Natural Resources;
12. the Field Enforcement Bureau of the Comptroller's Office;
13. the Housing Authority of Baltimore City Police Force;
14. the Crofton Police Department;
15. the police force of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene;
16. the police force of the Department of General Services;
17. the police force of the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation;
18. the police forces of the University System of Maryland;
19. the police force of Morgan State University;
20. the office of State Fire Marshal;
21. the Ocean Pines Police Department;
22. the police force of the Baltimore City Community College; or
23. the police force of the Hagerstown Community College.
(2) "Law enforcement officer" does not include:
(i) an individual who serves at the pleasure of the Police Commissioner of Baltimore City;
(ii) an individual who serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority of a charter county;
(iii) the police chief of a municipal corporation;
(iv) an officer who is in probationary status on initial entry into the law enforcement agency except if an allegation of brutality in the execution of the officer's duties is made;
(v) a Montgomery County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.1 of the Criminal Procedure Article;
(vi) an Anne Arundel County or City of Annapolis fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.2 of the Criminal Procedure Article;
(vii) a Prince George's County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.3 of the Criminal Procedure Article;
(viii) a Worcester County fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.4 of the Criminal Procedure Article; or
(ix) a City of Hagerstown fire and explosive investigator as defined in § 2-208.5 of the Criminal Procedure Article.
[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 727(a)-(c), (d)(1), (e), (g); 2003, ch. 5, § 2; 2004, ch. 377; 2005, ch. 25, § 6; chs. 283, 463, 532; 2006, chs. 305, 417; 2007, ch. 410, § 2; ch. 619; 2008, chs. 428, 429; 2009, ch. 389.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.