2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 2 - DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE
Subtitle 5 - Statewide DNA Data Base System
Section 2-502 - Statewide DNA data base system.
§ 2-502. Statewide DNA data base system.
(a) Established.- There is a statewide DNA data base system in the Crime Laboratory.
(b) Purpose.- The statewide DNA data base system is the central repository for all DNA testing information as provided in this subtitle.
(c) Duties of Director.- The Director shall:
(1) administer and manage the statewide DNA data base system;
(2) consult with the Secretary on the adoption of appropriate regulations for protocols and operations of the statewide DNA data base system;
(3) ensure compatibility with Federal Bureau of Investigation and CODIS requirements, including the use of comparable test procedures, quality assurance, laboratory equipment, and computer software;
(4) ensure the security and confidentiality of all records in the statewide DNA data base system; and
(5) provide for a liaison with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other criminal justice agencies related to the State's participation in CODIS or in any DNA data base designated by the Department.
(d) Duties of Crime Laboratory.- The Crime Laboratory shall:
(1) receive DNA samples for analysis, classification, storage, and disposal;
(2) file the DNA record of identification characteristic profiles of DNA samples submitted to the Crime Laboratory; and
(3) make information that relates to DNA samples and DNA records available to other agencies and individuals as authorized by this subtitle.
(e) Contract with DNA laboratory.- The Director may contract with a qualified DNA laboratory to complete DNA typing analyses if the laboratory meets the guidelines established by the Director.
(f) Record retention.- Subject to § 2-511 of this subtitle, records of testing shall be permanently retained on file at the Crime Laboratory.
[An. Code 1957, art. 88B, § 12A(b), (k)(4), (l); 2003, ch. 5, § 2; ch. 240.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.