2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 14 - EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Subtitle 4 - Other Emergency Powers and Provisions
Section 14-405 - Powers of local governing body during military or warlike catastrophe.
§ 14-405. Powers of local governing body during military or warlike catastrophe.
(a) Conditions and period of applicability.-
(1) If there is serious human suffering, death, personal injury, or property damage in a county because of a military or warlike catastrophe, the local governing body has the powers granted in this section.
(2) The powers in this section may be exercised only during the effective period of an official proclamation by the Governor that declares all or part of the county to be in an actual or threatened emergency area.
(b) Power to borrow money or contract for materials or services.- The local governing body may borrow money or contract for materials or services on the faith and credit of the county.
(c) Power to issue bonds, notes, or certificates of indebtedness.-
(1) To pay for the money borrowed or the materials or services contracted for under subsection (b) of this section, the local governing body may issue bonds, notes, or other certificates of indebtedness on the faith and credit of the county to a person or governmental unit that lends the money or supplies the materials or services.
(2) The local governing body may set the terms, conditions, rate of interest, and provisions for repayment of the bonds, notes, or other certificates of indebtedness issued under this subsection.
(d) Power to impose levy on taxable property.- The local governing body may impose a special levy on taxable property in the county in an amount sufficient to:
(1) pay for the money borrowed or the materials and services contracted for under subsection (b) of this section; and
(2) make all payments of principal and interest on the bonds, notes, or other certificates of indebtedness issued under subsection (c) of this section that are outstanding.
(e) Cooperation with other governmental units.- Money, materials, or services obtained under subsection (b) of this section may be secured, expended, or used in cooperation with other governmental units on a matching basis or otherwise as determined by the local governing body.
(f) Waiver of legal restrictions or delaying procedures.- Any legal restrictions or delaying procedures are waived and may be disregarded by the local governing body as to:
(1) the purchase, lease, or rental of materials and equipment;
(2) the securing and hiring of personal services;
(3) the face value of notes, bonds, or other certificates of indebtedness that may be issued and outstanding; or
(4) the rate of taxation that may be imposed.
[An. Code 1957, art. 16A, § 35; 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.