2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 14 - EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Subtitle 1 - Maryland Emergency Management Agency Act
Section 14-112 - Emergency expenditures; use of existing resources.
§ 14-112. Emergency expenditures; use of existing resources.
(a) Emergency expenditures.-
(1) Expenditures necessitated by emergencies shall first be made using money regularly appropriated to State and local agencies.
(2) If the Governor finds that regularly appropriated money is inadequate to cope with an emergency, the Board of Public Works may make contingency money available in accordance with the State budget.
(b) Federal money.- The State may:
(1) accept any allotment of federal money and commodities and manage and dispose of them in whatever manner may be required by federal law; and
(2) take advantage of the federal Disaster Relief Act of 1974 and any amendments or supplements to it, and any other federal law that provides grants and public assistance for the purposes of this subtitle and Subtitles 2 and 4 of this title.
(c) Use of existing resources.-
(1) In carrying out this subtitle, the Governor, Director, and executive officers or governing bodies of the political subdivisions shall use the services, equipment, supplies, and facilities of existing agencies and units of the State and the political subdivisions to the maximum extent practicable.
(2) The officers and personnel of the agencies and units of the State and the political subdivisions shall cooperate with and extend services and facilities to the Governor, Adjutant General, Director, and the local organizations for emergency management on request.
(3) At the direction of the Governor, the Maryland National Guard shall use its services, equipment, supplies, and facilities in life-threatening emergencies that are beyond the capabilities of local authorities.
(d) Gifts, grants, or loans for emergency management.-
(1) If the federal government, another state, or an agency or officer of the federal government or another state offers to this State or a political subdivision services, equipment, supplies, materials, or money by way of gift, grant, or loan for purposes of emergency management, the State acting through the Governor, or the political subdivision acting with the consent of the Governor and through its executive officer or governing body, may:
(i) accept the offer; and
(ii) authorize an officer of this State or the political subdivision to receive the services, equipment, supplies, materials, or money.
(2) If a person offers to the State or a political subdivision aid or assistance, the State or political subdivision may accept the aid and assistance in accordance with paragraph (1) of this subsection.
[An. Code 1957, art. 16A, §§ 9(b)-(e), 10; 2003, ch. 5, § 2; 2010, ch. 24.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.