2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 1 - DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
Subtitle 3 - Maryland Environmental Policy Act
Section 1-304 - Environmental effects reports.
§ 1-304. Environmental effects reports.
(a) Preparation; contents.- As of July 1, 1974, all State agencies shall prepare, in conjunction with each proposed State action significantly affecting the quality of the environment, an environmental effects report including, but not limited to, a discussion of:
(1) The effects of the proposed action on the environment, including adverse and beneficial environmental effects that are reasonably likely if the proposal is implemented or if it is not implemented;
(2) Measures that might be taken to minimize potential adverse environmental effects and maximize potential beneficial environmental effects, including monitoring, maintenance, replacement, operation, and other follow-up activities; and
(3) Reasonable alternatives to the proposed action that might have less adverse environmental effects or greater beneficial environmental effects, including, the alternative of no action.
(b) Guidelines to assist in preparation.- The Secretary of Natural Resources prior to December 31, 1973, shall issue guidelines to assist State agencies in the preparation of environmental effects reports in accordance with this subtitle and pursuant to the public notice provisions of § 10-112 of the State Government Article, including, but not limited to, provision for:
(1) Comment upon the proposed State action by public and private organizations and individuals with jurisdiction by law, special expertise, or recognized interest prior to the request for legislation;
(2) The possibility of the preparation of single program environmental effects reports if a series of actions taken individually are of minimal significance but if the cumulative effect of the actions on the environment is significant or if a series of actions are related either geographically or as logical parts in a chain of contemplated actions;
(3) The possibility of the preparation of modified environmental effects reports on remaining decisions significantly affecting the quality of the environment that are parts of actions begun before but not completed by July 1, 1974; and
(4) The issuance of guidelines, in accordance with this subtitle and pursuant to the guidelines issued by the Secretary of Natural Resources, for the preparation of environmental effects reports by each State agency that takes actions that significantly affect the quality of the environment.
[An. Code 1957, art. 41, § 451; 1973, 1st Sp. Sess., ch. 4, § 1; 1986, ch. 5, § 4; 1987, ch. 11, § 2; 1988, ch. 6, § 1.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.