2010 Maryland Code
ESTATES AND TRUSTS
TITLE 14 - TRUSTS
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
Section 14-112 - Trust for care of animal.
§ 14-112. Trust for care of animal.
(a) Creation.- A trust may be created to provide for the care of an animal alive during the lifetime of the settlor.
(b) Termination.- A trust authorized by this section terminates:
(1) If created to provide for the care of one animal alive during the lifetime of the settlor, on the death of the animal; or
(2) If created to provide for the care of more than one animal alive during the lifetime of the settlor, on the death of the last surviving animal.
(1) A trust authorized by this section may be enforced by a person appointed under the terms of the trust or, if no person is appointed, by a person appointed by the court.
(2) A person having an interest in the welfare of an animal the care for which a trust is established may request the court to appoint a person to enforce the trust or to remove a person appointed.
(1) Except to the extent that the court may determine that the value of a trust authorized by this section exceeds the amount required for the use intended by the trust, the property of the trust may be applied only to the intended use of the trust.
(2) Except as otherwise provided under the terms of the trust, property not required for the intended use of the trust shall be distributed:
(i) To the settlor, if living; or
(ii) If the settlor is deceased, to the successors in interest of the settlor.
[2009, ch. 132.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.