2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 8 - SPECIAL PROGRAMS FOR EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN
Subtitle 3 - Deaf and Blind Children
Section 8-304 - Maryland School for the Deaf.
§ 8-304. Maryland School for the Deaf.
(a) Established.- There is a Maryland School for the Deaf.
(b) Governance of School.- The governance of the Maryland School for the Deaf is vested in the Board of Trustees of the Maryland School for the Deaf.
(c) Board of Trustees - Composition.-
(1) The Board of Trustees shall consist of 19 members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(2) Of the 19 members, at least 6 members shall be deaf.
(3) Each member of the Board shall:
(i) Be a resident of the State;
(ii) Be a member of the general public; and
(iii) Have demonstrated an active interest in the education of deaf children.
(4) Each geographic region of the State shall be represented by at least 1 member of the Board.
(d) Board of Trustees - Terms; vacancies.-
(1) The term of a member is 6 years.
(2) The terms of the members are staggered as required by the terms provided for the members of the Board on October 1, 1992.
(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member may not serve more than 2 consecutive terms.
(e) Gifts or grants.- The Board may:
(1) Apply for, accept, and spend any gift or grant from the federal government, any foundation, or any other person; and
(2) Maintain, manage, and invest any gifts or grants that it accepts.
(f) Budget.- The Board shall establish an annual operating budget.
(g) Branch established.-
(1) There is a branch of the Maryland School for the Deaf.
(2) This branch shall be located near the population center of this State.
(3) The branch shall be administered and operated as part of and is subject to the Maryland School for the Deaf.
(h) Admissions standards.-
(1) The Maryland School for the Deaf shall adopt written standards for the admission of students.
(2) The standards shall define and distinguish between students who are bona fide Maryland residents and those who are out-of-state students, for purposes of admission and tuition.
(i) Tuition - State residents.- The Maryland School for the Deaf shall admit free of charge students who:
(1) Are bona fide Maryland residents; and
(2) Meet its admission standards.
(j) Tuition - Out-of-state students.-
(1) The Maryland School for the Deaf may admit for tuition out-of-state students who meet its admission standards.
(2) The School shall establish tuition rates on an annual basis.
[An. Code 1957, art. 30, § 34; 1978, ch. 22, § 2; 1992, ch. 493, § 2.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.