2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 7 - PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
Section 7-105 - Display of flag; patriotic exercises.
§ 7-105. Display of flag; patriotic exercises.
(a) Purpose.- This section is enacted so that the love of freedom and democracy, shown in the devotion of all true and patriotic Americans to their flag and country, shall be instilled in the hearts and minds of the youth of America.
(b) School flags.- Each county board shall:
(1) Require the display of an American flag on the site of each public school building in its county while the school is in session;
(2) Buy all necessary flags, staffs, and appliances for the flags; and
(3) Adopt rules and regulations for the proper custody, care, and display of the flag.
(c) Classroom flags; flag salute and pledge of allegiance.- Each county board shall:
(1) Provide each public school classroom with an American flag;
(2) Prepare a program for each public school classroom for the beginning of each school day that provides for the salute to the flag and other patriotic exercises that are approved by the United States government; and
(3) Require all students and teachers in charge to stand and face the flag and while standing give an approved salute and recite in unison the pledge of allegiance as follows: "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
(d) Exception from flag salute or pledge requirement.- Any student or teacher who wishes to be excused from the requirements of subsection (c) (3) of this section shall be excused.
(e) Other patriotic exercises.- Each county board may provide for any other patriotic exercises it considers appropriate under the regulations and instruction that best meet the requirements of the different grades in the schools.
(f) Disrespect in violation of section.- Any individual who commits an act of disrespect, either by word or action, is in violation of the intent of this section.
[An. Code 1957, art. 77, § 77; 1978, ch. 22, § 2.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.