2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 8 - FRAUD AND RELATED CRIMES
Subtitle 3 - Identity Fraud
Section 8-302 - Blank or incorrect identification card.
§ 8-302. Blank or incorrect identification card.
(a) "Offer for sale" defined.- In this section, "offer for sale" includes to induce, solicit, attempt, or advertise in a manner intended to encourage a person to purchase an identification card.
(b) Prohibited.- Subject to subsection (c) of this section, a person may not:
(1) sell, issue, offer for sale, or offer to issue an identification card or document that contains:
(i) a blank space for a person's age or date of birth; or
(ii) a person's incorrect age or date of birth; or
(2) knowingly sell, issue, offer for sale, or offer to issue an identification card or document that contains:
(i) an incorrect name instead of a person's true name; or
(ii) an incorrect address for a person.
(c) Exception.- This section does not prohibit a manufacturer of identification cards or documents from selling or issuing identification cards or documents that contain a blank space for a person's age or date of birth to:
(1) employers, for use as employee identification cards or documents;
(2) hospitals, for use as patient identification cards; or
(3) governmental units.
(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding $2,000 or both.
(2) Each identification card or document sold or issued and each offer in violation of this section is a crime that may be separately prosecuted.
(e) Injunctive relief.- The Attorney General, or the State's Attorney for a county where a violation of this section occurs, may seek an injunction to stop a sale, issue, or offer that violates this section.
[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 233E; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2006, ch. 486.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.