2010 Maryland Code
COURTS AND JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS
TITLE 11 - JUDGMENTS
Subtitle 1 - Judgments - Miscellaneous
Section 11-110 - Damages for injury to pet.
§ 11-110. Damages for injury to pet.
(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) "Compensatory damages" means:
(i) In the case of the death of a pet, the fair market value of the pet before death and the reasonable and necessary cost of veterinary care; and
(ii) In the case of an injury to a pet, the reasonable and necessary cost of veterinary care.
(3) (i) "Pet" means a domesticated animal.
(ii) "Pet" does not include livestock.
(b) Measure of damages.-
(1) A person who tortiously causes an injury to or death of a pet while acting individually or through an animal under the person's direction or control is liable to the owner of the pet for compensatory damages.
(2) The damages awarded under paragraph (1) of this subsection may not exceed $7,500.
[1989, ch. 594; 1999, ch. 399; 2002, ch. 19, § 10; 2005, ch. 250.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.