2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 12 - SECONDHAND PRECIOUS METAL OBJECT DEALERS AND PAWNBROKERS
Subtitle 3 - Precious Metal Objects /Records; Holding Period; Inspection
Section 12-302 - Contents of records.
§ 12-302. Contents of records.
(a) Records of dealers.- In addition to any other information required by the Secretary, the records of a dealer shall include:
(1) the date, place, and time of each transaction that involves the acquisition of a precious metal object;
(2) the name and address of the principal, if the transaction is by an agent;
(3) a description of the precious metal object, including:
(i) its approximate metallic composition;
(ii) any jewels, stones, or glass parts;
(iii) any mark, number, word, or other identification on the precious metal object;
(iv) its weight, if payment is based on weight;
(v) a statement whether it appears to have been altered by any means, including:
1. obscuring a serial number or identifying feature;
2. melting; or
3. recutting a gem; and
(vi) the amount paid or other consideration;
(4) for each individual from whom the dealer acquires a precious metal object:
(i) the name, date of birth, and driver's license number of the individual; or
(ii) identification information about the individual that:
1. positively identifies the individual from at least 2 forms of identification, which may include an age of majority card, military identification, or passport; and
2. provides a physical description of the individual, including the sex, race, any distinguishing features, and approximate age, height, and weight of the individual;
(5) a statement indicating whether or not the person making the transaction is personally known to the dealer; and
(6) the signature of the person from whom the precious metal object or personal property is acquired and the dealer or employee who accepted the precious metal object.
(b) Records of pawnbrokers.- In addition to any other information required by the Secretary, the records of a pawnbroker shall include, for each item pawned:
(1) the type of item;
(2) its manufacturer, model number, year of manufacture if known, and serial number if known; and
(3) its color and size.
[An. Code 1957, art. 56, § 422; 1992, ch. 4, § 2; ch. 451.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.