Maryland Transportation Section 21-1124
(a)   (1)   In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2)   "9-1-1 system" has the meaning stated in § 1-301 of the Public Safety Article.
(3)   "Wireless communication device" means:
(i)   A handheld or hands free device used to access a wireless telephone service; or
(ii)   A text messaging device.
(b)   This section does not apply to the use of a wireless communication device to contact a 9-1-1 system.
(c)   A holder of a learner's instructional permit or a provisional driver's license who is under the age of 18 years may not use a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle.
(d)   A police officer may enforce this section only as a secondary action when the police officer detains a driver for a suspected violation of another provision of the Code.
(e)   (1)   If the Administration receives satisfactory evidence that an individual has violated this section, the Administration:
(i)   May suspend the individual's driver's license for not more than 90 days; and
(ii)   May issue a restricted license for the period of suspension that is limited to driving a motor vehicle:
1.   In the course of the individual's employment;
2.   For the purpose of driving to or from a place of employment; or
3.   For the purpose of driving to or from school.
(2)   An individual may request a hearing as provided for a suspension or revocation under Title 12, Subtitle 2, of this article.