Maryland Courts and Judicial Proceedings Section 5-301
(a)   In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b)   "Actual malice" means ill will or improper motivation.
(c)   (1)   "Employee" means any person who was employed by a local government at the time of the act or omission giving rise to potential liability against that person.
(2)   "Employee" includes:
(i)   Any employee, either within or without a classified service or merit system;
(ii)   An appointed or elected official; or
(iii)   A volunteer who, at the request of the local government, and under its control and direction, was providing services or performing duties.
(d)   "Local government" means:
(1)   A chartered county established under Article 25A of the Code;
(2)   A code county established under Article 25B of the Code;
(3)   A board of county commissioners established or operating under Article 25 of the Code;
(4)   Baltimore City;
(5)   A municipal corporation established or operating under Article 23A of the Code;
(6)   The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission;
(7)   The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission;
(8)   The Northeast Maryland Waste Disposal Authority;
(9)   A community college or board of trustees for a community college established or operating under Title 16 of the Education Article, not including Baltimore City Community College;
(10)   A county public library or board of trustees of a county public library established or operating under Title 23, Subtitle 4 of the Education Article;
(11)   The Enoch Pratt Free Library or Board of Trustees of the Enoch Pratt Free Library;
(12)   The Washington County Free Library or the Board of Trustees of the Washington County Free Library;
(13)   A special taxing district;
(14)   A nonprofit community service corporation incorporated under State law that is authorized to collect charges or assessments;
(15)   Housing authorities created under Article 44A of the Code;
(16)   A sanitary district, sanitary commission, metropolitan commission, or other sewer or water authority established or operating under public local law or public general law;
(17)   The Baltimore Metropolitan Council;
(18)   The Howard County Economic Development Authority;
(19)   The Howard County Mental Health Authority;
(20)   A commercial district management authority established by a county or municipal corporation if provided under local law;
(21)   The Baltimore City Police Department;
(22)   A regional library resource center or a cooperative library corporation established under Title 23, Subtitle 2 of the Education Article; and
(23)   Lexington Market, Inc., in Baltimore City.